Keys to get success in college..:
The culture at college/ university is different from high school. In college/university you are expected to take charge of your own education, access the facilities and resources available and seek our guidance when you need it…
* Find out about campus services and other resources.
There are many sources of on campus, e.g. Writing Centers, Math Aid Center, Counselling and Learning Skills, Personal Counselling, Registrar’s office. Don’t be shy about seeking extra help – you’ll be glad you did when you marks improve.
* Take control of your time.
Plan your study time. Each week has 168 hours. If you take out time for sleeping (56 hours), eating (17 hours), travel/commuting (10 hours), class time (15-25 hours), there are still 50-60 hours left in the week. If you plan it, this should give you time for studying and extra-curricular commitments.
Make up a weekly timetable for yourself as well as a term timetable with all your tests and assignments. You will find that your courses ten to have tests and essays etc. due in the same weeks during the year so proper planning is crucial. Work back from your deadlines to decide when you will do what.
* Assess your skills.
Evaluate your strengths and weaknesses. Ask yourself these following questions:
- Do you have a system when you plan your work?
- Are your notes and class hand-outs well-organized and easy to locate?
- Do you read ahead before lectures?
- Do you have time to do the things you want to do?
- Do you ask for help when you ?
You need to develop better study habits or time management skills attend workshops offered.
* Pay attention to your study environment.
- Is the place relatively free of distractions (e.g. TV, fridge)
- Is there good lighting, ventilation?
- Is there a comfortable chair and proper writing surface?
- Are you notes readily accessible and organized?
- There are lots of libraries on campus that are great for studying.
* Get involved in college life and extra-curricular activities.
It’s proven that students get involved in university/college outside of class do better overall – and it’s a fun way to balance your time!
* Attitude and personality.
Attitude and personality can play a vital role in your success as a student. You should always have a positive attitude towards college and its environment. A successful student would have an attitude set towards motivation, commitment, dedication, teamwork, and determination.
** key Points **
* The gift of knowledge and happiness are two very important factors in a student’s life. Every student wants to be successful but to reach success you need to remember the key ingredients that will get you there;
* Achieving decent marks, having proper health and fitness levels; encompass the right personality and the love and support you receive from home, your family and friends.
* Another important factor in being a successful student is having the appropriate level of fitness and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
* You should have a minimum of three balanced meals a day which include all of the main food groups. You should keep active, whether it is in school sports, organized community activities, volunteering in clubs and organizations or just going on a run with a friend.
* You should get at least eight hours of sleep a night, to rest your brain and prepare yourself for the next day’s activities whatever they may be.
* Good stress can always be given to you by your family and friends such as; rewarding you for good marks, a job well done, a pat on the back and maybe a little bit of pressure every now and then to do good. This type of stress can reflect in a positive way on your body and psychological system, which can help you achieve and push you to strive for even more.
* Education is a aspect of life and with an education your options are endless!