International students planning to study in the United States will have to apply for a student visa after they are admitted to a U.S. college or university.One must have a student visa to study in the United States. Your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determine whether you need an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa.

Student visa and its types ::

Student visa and its types
Student visa and its types



Vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than a language training program….——-  M-1 VISA

Types of Student Visas..:

There are three types of student visas for international students:


Academic Studies (F visa): This type of student visa is required if you have been accepted into an accredited college or university in the United States.

If you wish to attend a university or other academic institution in the United States, including primary and secondary school, or a language training program you will require an F-1 visa.

While an F-1 can be issued to attend public secondary school (grades 9 through 12, approximately ages 14 to 18), students are limited to a maximum of 12 months of high school in F-1 status and must show proof that payment has been made for the full, unsubsidized cost of the education at the time they apply for the visa.


Non-Academic or Vocational Studies (M Visa): If you have been accepted to a non-academic or vocational U.S. college or university, this is the type of student visa you should apply for.

If you wish to pursue a course of study which is not principally academic in nature at an established vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution such as a post secondary vocational or business school, you will require an M-1 visa.

You will require an F-1 or M-1 visa if:

 You will study for more than 18 hours a week; or 

You will receive academic credit for the program of study or the program of study is required for your degree;  or 

 You are enrolled in an online degree program and You are required to travel to the United States for a short course of study which is more than 18 hours a week.


Academic Studies as an Exchange Visitor (J Visa): The “J” visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs. You will need this type of student visa if you have been accepted into a program through a designated sponsoring organization to participate in an exchange visitor program in the United States.

How to Apply..Student Visa..?

There are several steps to apply for a visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply.


Complete the Online Visa Application

Schedule an Interview

Prepare for Your Interview

Gather Required Documentation

Attend Your Visa Interview


Students who are outside the United States, and who have not been attending classes for five (5) months or more, should apply for a new student visa to reenter the United States.